If you own a boat, then you probably spend a lot of time tending to it. Indeed, boats require frequent maintenance, but to make the sailing worth it, you also need to make sure that your trailer is in the right shape. There a number of boat trailer parts that you can get to add to your trailer. Since, it is important to maintain the trailer as much as the boat itself, make sure that you get hold of the best boat trailer parts from the most reliable brands.
For safety, always make sure that the maximum weight loaded onto the trailer is only twice the total weight that the winch, the rope or the cable can bear. To make sure that you can haul heavier loads, you can buy winches with greater strength. For maintenance, you can spray the winches with lubrication while winding as well as unwinding. You can use automotive engine oil for this. This is will prevent corrosion from the salty seawater and uphold a smoother performance.
- Hydraulic brakes
Electric /hydraulic brakes are an important inclusion on the list of boat trailer parts. These greatly increase the braking power of a towing engine. In this arrangement, hydraulic brakes are powered by an electric unit or a battery and mounted on the trailer. Generally, a 12-volt power is sufficient to keep the brakes working properly.
When the towing engine is put to a stop, the vehicle controller gives out a signal to the hydraulic power unit the trailer. This in return results in the building up of hydraulic pressure which is then distributed evenly over the trailer brake system. This puts an abrupt stop to the whole trailer.
- Trailer axle wheel
Finding the right axle is integral to keeping the trailer working smoothly. Here are a few tips on how to select the right trailer.
- The axle must be able to support the maximum weight that can be hauled by the trailer.
- Get clear on your track length by measuring from the center of one tire to the other. This will determine the area that can be used as a mounting surface.
- While measuring the spring center, take the distance from the center of the springs.
- To measure the overall length, take into account the distance from the very end of a spindle.
- There are a number of options available when it comes to axle styles. While making the choice, consider the ease of mounting hardware and tire clearance.
- When you are buying a trailer axle, always make sure that the tube is bent. This will ensure that when the engine is on a move, the trailer will be towed at a degree that eases stress and assures the longest tread life.
- Boat tie down straps
Whenever you are shopping for boat trailer parts, do not overlook the boat tie down straps. You may choose from gunwale straps, transom straps, 3 point PWC straps and bow straps. The straps will make sure that the entire trailer is safely secured to the boat.